Thursday, January 20, 2011

Uuuhm, I don't know what to write, so I'll tell you that I'm Martin. I guess.. xd

The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod: Eitghth Grade Bites
Heather Brewer
184 pages
Copyright 2007

The main character is Vladimir Tod. He is just a normal boy in eighth grade, with just a bit more pale skin than others and dark hair. I thought that this is one of the type of books like "A book for every boy" and stuff like that, until I read that he's a vampire. Yeah, kind of commercial with all the Twilight bollocks and stuff, but this guy is different. He pretty much resembles me- sometimes shy, especially infront of the girl he likes. He has no more than one friend (except that most of the students know him), and two bullies that often chase him around. He doesn't have parrents- they died 3 years before eighth grade. He has a passion and hunger for drinking blood, but he keeps himself together and drinks blood from the bloodbank. A lot of the time loneliness invades the empty space of his mind. Despite that he's mentally strong (and physically of course) and able to deal with every kind of problem, except garlic. He faces danger without a lot of drama and thinking. This is how I imagined a vampire, and it's all in this book, except for the fact that he can read minds.. That's kind of too strong, but I can deal with it.
So the setting is in the small town of Bathory. Vlad, as they call the vampire-kid, goes to the town school. He lives with Nelly- his guardian, that works in the hospital, and supplies him with blood. His only friend is Henry- the school's playboy, and Vlad always lives in his shadow. No one knows that Vlad is a vampire, except for the two mentioned before. Everything starts as Vlad's teacher dissapears. The new teacher is very strange, and looks like he knows something about Vladimir. Does he really? Our teen-vampire gets himself involved into finding what's going on. He suspects murder by a vampire, and maybe that's the case. Read to find out, because I'm too lazy to write it in 9:30 in the night.(Sorry if it sounds arrogant). I think the author is trying to convey through the choice of setting, that Vladimir is just our friendly neighbour vampire-teen, who has just the same problems as most of the eight graders. (That sounded confused, but I'm trying to follow what I've written in my notebook).Although his normalness (except for the vampire thing), Vlad's life is going to turn into something more than being the last of his kind. He may not know, but vampire-boy isn't the last of his kind. Actually he's first ,to be precise, but there are other vampires, who aren't very happy of his father deeds.
So now for the plot. As we get introduced to Vlad's life, the accident that happened to his parents (they burned like pieces of paper) he starts to think about who killed his parrents and teacher. His subtitute teacher is very suspicious, and after a series of events, Vlad starts to think of him as a monster, which killed his parents and teacher. He finds his father journal and gets even more absorbed into the vampire world. Then one night, his subtitute teacher reveals to him that he's his uncle and they go fight the evil president of the vampire breed. For more details, find the book, or ask me to lend it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.